We like building things, it's true. But we also find the time to teach other people how to do it like we do it. Don't worry. There's plenty for everyone.
Client has a diverse mix of in-house resources, on-shore vendors and off-shore vendors in a geographically distributed matrix environment. Tracking multiple projects and performance across the matrix was deemed impossible. Multiple agile solutions and services had been implemented before without any tangible success.
Xcentium consultants assessed the environment, identified the challenges posed dues to silo systems across the environment, multiple team cultures, collaboration and communication latencies. Prototype projects were implemented using a horizontally and vertically integrated Microsoft TFS environment. This involved onboarding and training of the distributed teams and upgrading project management and reporting culture to the industry standard for scrum process.
The implemented solutions were able to cut down on development cycle times by 50%. Time to reporting status on projects has been reduced to zero as all reports are now on-demand. The prototype projects resulted in rich proactive reports for all the project stakeholders.
- Product and Project Managers were able to view burn down charts and monitor deliverable dates on demand.
- Impediments were recorded and addressed immediately.
- QA was integrated into the process. Bug counts indicated the quality of the sprints and proactive efforts were made to reduce the bug counts.
- Costs of vendor resources per sprint and feature set were calculated and compared with vendor projections.
- Management was able to foresee budget overruns, team performance metrics and take corrective actions.
- Review of business and technology needs.
- Technology platform review.
- Gap analysis between existing process and industry standards.
- Team topography review.
ALM Implementation and Process Optimization
- Mapping of development process.
- Microsoft TFS installation and configuration.
- Source Control implementation and configuration.
- TFS Web implementation and configuration for product and project stakeholders.
- On-boarding and training of function specific team members (Product, Project, QA, Development and Management) on operating and analysis of the implemented process.
- Orchestration of Product backlog planning/creation, Sprint planning/scheduling, kick-off, scrum, review and retrospective meetings.
- Hand-off and support.
Learn more about our main areas of discipline included in this case study.